One of our greatest joys is giving back to our community. We're proud to partner with Franklin County Children Services to provide books to children in need each year through our Book Angels program.
It is easy to become a Book Angel. A donor picks a star with a child’s name and age from the tree; he or she picks out an age-appropriate book in Gramercy’s children’s or teen sections and purchases it at a 25% discount. An angel with the donor’s name on it replaces the star in recognition of the donation. We expect to donate about 400 books to FCCS children in foster care when the program ends on December 24.
Speaking of giving, ‘tis the season! If you’re considering the gift of reading, here are my recommendations:
- Demon Copperhead, winner of the Pulitzer Prize, by Barbara Kingsolver
- The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by National Humanities Medal winner, National Book Award winner, and New York Times bestselling author James McBride
- The Postcard by Choix Goncourt Prize (France) winner Anne Berest
- So Late in the Day: Stories of Women and Men, by Irish writer Claire Keegan
- Tom Lake, a Reese Book Club Pick, by Ann Patchett
- Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin, has remained on the bestseller list since it was released in July 2022
Memoir/Here are two very different women, both in the music business:
- My Name is Barbra by Barbra Streisand
- The Woman in Me by Britney Spears
A holiday classic for 4- to 7-year-olds:
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Sleigh by New York Times bestselling, award-winning author and illustrator Mo Willems
For 8- to 12-year-olds:
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Chalice of the Gods by Rick Riordan, author of five #1 New York Times bestselling middle grade series
We also have incredible arts and craft items across the ages (from fingerpaints for kids to calligraphy sets), puzzles for all ages, and those wonderful treats from Seattle Chocolates!
I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention our Bookgram subscription service where you can send your favorite reader hand-selected titles bi-monthly. You can choose from four genres (fiction, nonfiction, mystery/thriller, or romance) and a duration of 6 or 12 months!
Finally, we love to celebrate our birthday with our community every December. Our 7th birthday party will be held on Saturday, December 9! Join us from 9 am to 8 pm and enjoy 20% off everything in-store and online—that means 20% off books, gift cards, puzzles, food items, candles, bags, mugs, shirts, and more! And you can munch on cookies as you browse!
We are grateful that Gramercy Books is such an integral part of our community, and that we can provide a diversity of voices, whether on our shelves or through the ongoing author events we offer. Thank you for your tremendous support of our neighborhood indie bookstore.
We appreciate you and wish you a happy and healthy holiday season!
Written by Linda Kass
About the author: I began my career as a magazine writer and correspondent for regional and national publications and am now an assistant editor for Narrative, an online literary magazine. My debut novel, Tasa’s Song, was inspired by my mother’s early life in eastern Poland during the Second World War. My second historical novel, A Ritchie Boy, was inspired by my immigrant father's role as a military intelligence office in World War II. My third novel, Bessie, a fictional portrait of Bess Myerson's early life, was released in September of 2023. I am also the proud owner of Gramercy Books, serving all of central Ohio!
Learn more about me on my personal website.