Confident Parents, Confident Kids lays out an approach for helping parents—and the kids they love—hone their emotional intelligence so that they can make wise choices, connect and communicate well with others (even when patience is thin), and become socially conscious and confident human beings.
How do we raise a happy, confident kid? And how can we be confident that our parenting is preparing our child for success? Our confidence develops from understanding and having a mastery over our emotions (aka emotional intelligence)
—and helping our children do the same. Like learning to play a musical instrument, we can fine-tune our ability to skillfully react to those crazy, wonderful, big feelings that naturally arise from our child’s constant growth and changes, moving from chaos to harmony. We want our children to trust that they can conquer any challenge with hard work and persistence
; that they can love boundlessly
; that they will find their unique sense of purpose
; and they will act wisely in a complex world
. This book shows you how.
With author and educator Jennifer Miller as your supportive guide, you'll learn:
- the lies we’ve been told about emotions, how they shape our choices, and how we can reshape our parenting decisions in better alignment with our deepest values.
- how to identify the temperaments your child was born with so you can support those tendencies rather than fight them.
- how to align your biggest hopes and dreams for your kids with specific skills that can be practiced, along with new research to support those powerful connections.
- about each age and stage your child goes through and the range of learning opportunities available.
- how to identify and manage those big emotions (that only the parenting process can bring out in us!) and how to model emotional intelligence for your children.
- how to deal with the emotions and influences of your choir—the many outside individuals and communities who directly impact your child’s life, including school, the digital world, extended family, neighbors, and friends.
Raising confident, centered, happy kids—while feeling the same way about yourself—is possible with Confident Parents, Confident Kids.
About the Author
Jennifer S. Miller, MEd, is the founder of the site Confident Parents, Confident Kids (confidentparentsconfidentkids.org) and has twenty years of experience working with parents, educators, and other adults to help them become more effective with children through social and emotional learning. She is a regular expert contributor to the NBC Education Nation’s Parent Toolkit and has contributed articles or interviews to popular publications such as The Washington Post, Parent Magazine, The Huffington Post, and more. Jennifer earned her master's degree in education with a focus on social and emotional development from the University of Illinois at Chicago. She lives with her husband and son in Columbus, Ohio.
“Jennifer Miller is a world-class expert in how to parent effectively. This book is very informative, and I encourage parents to read and re-read over the years as your children grow up. Jennifer provides perspectives and practical strategies that will make parenting experiences more enjoyable. They will also help parents to raise happy, caring, responsible, and successful children.” - Roger Weissberg, Leading Scientist in Childrenâ??s Social and Emotional Development
“We need parents who use their powerful influence to advance kids’ readiness for our global community. With that in mind, I have advocated for and supported social and emotional learning as fundamental to children’s success. Jennifer Miller's book is an essential guide for helping parents hone their own social and emotional skills while helping their children do the same.” - Tim Ryan, United States Congressman and author of A Mindful Nation and The Real Food Revolution
“With a solid tie to research, this book makes gaining confidence in parenting highly accessible and offers a million small ways parents can promote their children's success. Where was this book when I was a new parent?” - Michele Borba, Ed.D., author of UnSelfie and The Big Book of Parenting Solutions